Historically, the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center encompassed over 500 acres and served as a mental health facility from the time it was first developed in approximately 1885 until its closure in 1996. Based on information provided from historical accounts, the facility included patient facilities, staff facilities (housing and recreation), shops, laundry facilities, power plant (steam and electricity generation), water supply wells, orchards, farmland, dairy farm, piggery, maintenance garages, hospitals, morgues, greenhouses, bakery and an ice house.

The former facility has a campus-like character and is a mixture of landscaped lawn areas, open meadows, mature woods and developed areas. The developed areas consist of over 60 abandoned buildings/structures containing approximately 2,400,000 square feet of enclosed space that are surrounded by paved parking lots, a roadway system, open grass areas, wooded areas and landscaping. In addition, approximately 5 miles of steam tunnels are located in this portion of the facility that contain steam pipes and condensate return lines and connect the steam plant to each of the on-site buildings and structures.

Given a funding appropriation of approximately $14 million initiated by Senator John Flanagan and the New York State Senate in 2006 for the project, NYSOPRHP was able to advance the first phase of building demolition activities in March 2012 which focused on the “Fast-Track” demolition of 19 relatively small buildings/structures. Substantial completion of the “Fast Track” demolition phase was achieved in the early fall of 2013. NYSOPRHP has recently identified a second group of 10 select buildings/structures to be demolished as part of the next phase of demolition activities to be performed at the Site which is anticipated to start in April 2016. Provided below is a site plan depicting the approximate locations of the buildings/structures that make up the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center:

Project Updates

  • Coming Soon